I search... for myself
In the morning dust of my mother land,
In words penned eons back,
In old post cards, letters and exotic stamps...
I search, and search...
I search... for myself
In clothes well-folded and kept away for a long, long time,
In photographs from childhood, adolescence and prime,
In little stone temples, broken and being built...
I search, and search...
I search... for myself
In my baby's eyes, and in his smell,
In my aging parents, and faraway cousins,
In winding streets I once walked on...
I search, and search...
I search... for myself
In once familiar food, and once familiar TV soaps,
In my native tongue, and in Sanskrit scrolls,
In stained memories of the past, and strained visions of the future...
I search, and search...
In old music tapes and in Rupee notes,
In broken brick walls and in 220 volts,
In monsoon rains and in my afternoon tea,
In innocence, independence, pride, and poverty,
I search, and search...
I search, and search...
6 comments:
Are you visiting India?
Yes I was :)
Beautiful! I'm sure every displaced Indian would relate to this. Heck, even I can! We are all, in some sense, displaced, aren't we...which is why we search for our 'real' selves!
Sure, Deepthi. Quite true... thanks for stopping by :)
Super. This is one interminable search indeed... lovely morning read!
nice post sumi
Post a Comment