A lot of art relies on metaphor. Especially interesting is art that is open to interpretation, because every person exposed to the art, essentially creates his/her own metaphor. In this way, art not only has genesis in metaphor, but also inspires metaphor. If you think about it, it's pretty remarkable.
A related subject is the experience of art itself. We all experience the same art in different ways, both in the sensory and the intellectual terms.
What I have to share here is quite profound. Pete Eckert is a blind photographer. That's right, a blind photographer. Like Beethoven, he lost the primary sense that he needed for his creative work, but could not stop doing what he did. There is, however, a huge difference. Beethoven would have definitely experienced his compositions from his years of deafness, in his mind. He would have heard the tunes in his mind, though he could never actually "hear" them performed. Eckert's work, on the other hand, actually transforms a form of experience (acoustic) into a different form (visual).
Check out his work here:
I think it has a unique quality to it.
Really left me feeling that everything around is just photons, and we perceive "forms" just by Maya.
2 comments:
Have you read "The metaphors we live by" by George Lakoff? I haven't, either, but I know that it's a great book.
That's a very interesting difference you point out between Beethoven and Eckert (and thanks for introducing the latter- seems incredible!). It just dawned on me how fundamentally different creating music and creating photographs are; though both are art.
Your last point sounds Kantian...
@Sindhu: no, I haven't read that... a book or an essay? Will look it up...
Post a Comment